You are here

No newsprint supplies from firms under probe for Indonesia forest fires: SPH

Thursday, October 8, 2015 - 18:40

BanyuFire081015.jpg
Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) on Thursday said it does not purchase any of its newsprint supplies from the five companies which are under probe for links to the forest fires in Indonesia. It said this was in response to media queries.

SINGAPORE Press Holdings (SPH) on Thursday said it does not purchase any of its newsprint supplies from the five companies which are under probe for links to the forest fires in Indonesia. It said this was in response to media queries.

SPH also said that it purchases its newsprint supplies for its newspapers from diversified sources in Europe, North America and Asia-Pacific.

Alan Chan, SPH's chief executive officer, said: "A very high percentage - some 80 per cent - of the newsprint is derived from recycled paper. Only the remaining 20 per cent is from virgin pulp and this comes from certified sustainable sources. None of the virgin pulp is sourced from Indonesia."

The certifications include Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC), ISO 14001, Certification by the South Korean Board of National Technology and Quality (GR) and EU Ecolabel.

sentifi.com

Market voices on:

SPH said that "it strongly supports sustainability and aims to remain in the forefront of corporate social responsibility".

Nespresso
Pair your daily business read with the perfect cup of espresso.

Subscribe to The Business Times today to receive your very own Nespresso Inissia coffee machine worth $188.

Find out more at btsub.sg/btdeal

Powered by GET.comGetCom