You are here

Bidding for 2026 World Cup to be postponed: Fifa official

Decision on who hosts the finals had been due to be made in 2017

Mr Mutko (left) said that he saw no threat to Moscow's successful bid. He reiterated that it had been in line with the rules, as did Mr Valcke. As secretary-general of Fifa since 2007, and as Fifa president Sepp Blatter's lieutenant, Mr Valcke is seen as one of the most powerful men in world sports.

Samara, Russia

FIFA will postpone the start of bidding for the right to host the 2026 World Cup following the launch of a corruption investigation, a senior official in soccer's governing body said on Wednesday. "Due to the situation, I think it's nonsense to start any bidding process for