[WASHINGTON] The United States said on Tuesday it will boost security at government buildings after threats from Islamist groups and following two attacks last week in Canada that killed two soldiers.
The "precise actions" and "precise locations" were not specified in the statement by Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson, who said they would vary, shift and "be continually reevaluated."
Mr Johnson called it "a precautionary step, to safeguard US government personnel and facilities, and the visitors to those facilities." "The reasons for this action are self-evident," Johnson said, citing "continued public calls by terrorist organisations for attacks on the homeland and elsewhere" as well as the two attacks last week in Canada.
Both of the attacks came as Canada deployed fighter jets to join US-led air strikes on the Islamic State group in Iraq. Police say both assailants were converts to Islam with alleged extremists views.
Canada is a member of the alliance Washington has forged of Western and Arab nations to combat IS, which seized large parts of Syria and Iraq in recent months, declaring an Islamic "caliphate" and committing widespread atrocities.
The group has called for foreign fighters to join them and promoted attacks by disaffected Muslims on Western targets.
"Given world events, prudence dictates a heightened vigilance in the protection of US government installations and our personnel," Mr Johnson said.