You are here
Fifa gives Swiss authorities 2018, 2022 World Cup bidding data
[LONDON] Soccer's global governing body, FIFA, said it turned over electronic data from the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups yesterday to Swiss authorities.
"This is standard procedure as part of the investigation that FIFA itself initiated in November 2014 and with which it has since been cooperating closely," the Zurich-based organization said on Thursday in an e-mailed statement.
"At no stage were any offices searched nor computers seized. It was a regular handover of IT data to the representatives of the Swiss General Attorney's Office."
Swiss prosecutors have opened a probe into the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 tournaments to Russia and Qatar respectively, after a US-led investigation that focused on alleged corruption in earlier decisions over venues. Officials in Russia and Qatar have denied any wrongdoing.
Police last month arrested FIFA officials, who were among 14 soccer and marketing executives indicted on charges including racketeering, money laundering and tax evasion.