You are here
Singapore and world leaders pay tribute to Lee Kuan Yew
- Singapore's senior statesmen send condolences, tributes
Senior statesmen in Singapore, including Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong, Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam as well as Minister for Foreign Affairs and Minister for Law, K Shanmugam, sent tributes on Monday in honour of Lee Kuan Yew, who died early Monday morning at age 91.
- Lee Kuan Yew helped Singapore stand up and fight back: S R Nathan
Former Singapore Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew gave Singaporeans strength to stand up and fight back disruptive forces that sought to turn the nation into a communist state, former President S R Nathan said on Monday.
- Business community sends tributes in honour of Lee Kuan Yew
Tributes from businesses, industry leaders and business organisations.
- Tributes for Lee Kuan Yew pour in from local institutions and figures
Former prime minister Lee Kuan Yew, a co-founder of the People's Action Party, has died at the age of 91. A period of National Mourning from Monday, March 23, to Sunday, March 29, has been declared by the government. As a mark of respect, the State flags on all government buildings will be flown at half-mast from Monday till Sunday, the Prime Minister's Office said in a statement. Here are tributes from Monday.
- President Tony Tan pays tribute to Lee Kuan Yew
President Tony Tan Keng Yam has conveyed his condolences to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on the death of his father Lee Kuan Yew.
- Low Thia Khiang sends his condolences to PM Lee and family
LOW Thia Khiang, secretary-general of the Workers' Party, sent his condolences on Lee Kuan Yew's death to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and his family on Monday.
- Singapore's Cabinet remembers Lee Kuan Yew
Singapore's cabinet ministers have sent their condolences to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on the death of his father, Lee Kuan Yew.
- Singapore Democratic Party sends condolences
Chee Soon Juan, Secretary-General of the Singapore Democratic Party, on Monday sent his deepest condolences to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and his family on the demise of Lee Kuan Yew.
- Lee Kuan Yew was a "lifelong champion of the rule of law": Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon
Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon paid a tribute to the late Lee Kuan Yew, Singapore's first prime minister who died early Monday morning at the age of 91, calling him a lifelong champion of the rule of law.
- People's Association offers condolences on the demise of its founding chairman
Deputy Chairman of People's Association (PA) Lim Swee Say sent a his condolences to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on behalf of the PA and its Grassroots Organisations' Movement.
- Lee Kuan Yew's determination made Singapore into dynamic city it is today: Malaysia PM
Malaysia's Prime Minister Najib Razak said Singapore's former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, who died early Monday morning, was responsible for developing Singapore into the dynamic city it is today.
- Lee Kuan Yew a strategist boasting oriental values and international vision: China
SINGAPORE'S former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, who died early Monday morning, was "a strategist boasting oriental values and international vision", China's Foreign Ministry said.
- US President Obama offers condolences, calls Lee Kuan Yew a "true giant of history"
US President Barack Obama has offered his condolences to the family of Singapore's founding prime minister Lee Kuan Yew, who died early Monday morning, and said that he "joins the people of Singapore in mourning the loss of this remarkable man".
- Lee Kuan Yew a lion among leaders: India PM
India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi said Singapore's former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, who died early Monday morning, was a lion among leaders.
- Lee Kuan Yew had 'uncompromising stand for meritocracy, efficiency and education': IMF's Lagarde
Singapore's former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, who died early on Monday morning, was a visionary statesman, said Christine Lagarde, managing director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Former US president and leaders from Australia and New Zealand remember Lee Kuan Yew
Tributes from George W Bush, Tony Abbott and John Key.
- Lee Kuan Yew played key role in securing peace, stability in region, world: Japan PM
Singapore's former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, who passed away early Monday morning, played a key role in securing peace and stability in Asia-Pacific and the world, said Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.
- Henry Kissinger on Lee Kuan Yew: a man with extraordinary intelligence
Former US Secretary of State and Nobel Peace Prize winner, Henry Kissinger, told the BBC that his lifelong friend, Lee Kuan Yew, who died early Monday morning at the age of 91, viewed "international problems" with an "extraordinary intelligence".
For full coverage, visit bt.sg/lky2015