You are here
No reports of Singaporeans sustaining heavy injuries from Tianjin blasts so far: MFA
THE Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) said that it has not received any reports thus far of Singaporeans being heavily injured in the blasts which took place in Tianjin on Wednesday night.
In a statement released on Thursday, the MFA said: "Late last night, our Embassy in Beijing activated its warden system in Tianjin to ascertain the safety of 79 registered Singaporeans near the incident area, including those working at the Sino-Singapore Tianjin Eco-City, which is located 16km away from the blast site. As of (10am), we have managed to contact almost all the registered Singaporeans."
According to the MFA, there have been no reports of Singaporeans sustaining heavy injuries from the blast at this point.
The Chinese port was rocked by a series of explosions late Wednesday night, according to media reports out of China, with 44 killed and over 500 injured. The blasts took place at a warehouse in an industrial area.
The MFA added: "We express our deepest condolences to the families of the victims, and wish the injured a full and speedy recovery. MFA will remain in close contact with the Tianjin authorities until all registered Singaporeans are accounted for and to render consular assistance to the affected Singaporeans."
In a separate statement, the Sino-Singapore Tianjin Eco-City Investment and Development Co confirmed that all its employees were accounted for.
"One employee sustained minor injuries and has been treated, while SSTEC's office buildings sustained superficial damages," the statement said.
The company continues to operate as per normal.
Singaporeans in Tianjin are advised to contact the Singapore Embassy in Beijing at +86-1391 0755 251 or email@example.com to seek consular assistance. They may also contact the 24-hour MFA duty office in Singapore at 6379 8800/8855 or firstname.lastname@example.org.