You are here

Dreamworld in Australia to re-open after deadly accident

40484076 - 09_11_2016 - FILES-AUSTRALIA-DREAMWORLD-ACCIDENT.jpg
Australia's biggest theme park announced its re-opening on Wednesday six weeks after four people were killed on a malfunctioning water ride, with the all-clear given following a rigorous safety review.

[SYDNEY] Australia's biggest theme park announced its re-opening on Wednesday six weeks after four people were killed on a malfunctioning water ride, with the all-clear given following a rigorous safety review.

Two women and two men died when rafts on the Thunder River Rapids ride at the hugely popular Dreamworld tourist attraction on the Gold Coast collided on October 25.

Ardent Leisure, which owns the park and initially came in for heavy criticism for the way it handled the tragedy, said it would resume operations on December 10 with all funds from the opening weekend going to charity.

"Every ride and slide open on 10th December will have passed a rigorously conducted, multi-level safety review," said chief executive Craig Davidson.

Ardent Leisure previously announced the Thunder River Rapids ride will be demolished and a permanent memorial to the victims erected.

A coroner's investigation into the accident is ongoing.

The park has hosted 30 million people since opening in 1981 and October's disaster was its first fatal accident, with Ardent admitting the closure had cost it millions of dollars.

AFP