A 17-year-old Singaporean arrested under the Internal Security Act (ISA) in May has been released from custody and placed on a restriction order (RO) under the ISA for two years starting from June 2015.
The youth had initially been arrested to investigate the extent of his radicalisation. Since then, investigations have found that the youth had become radicalised after viewing videos, websites and "social media materials propagated by radical ideologues and terrorist elements", the Ministry of Home Affairs said in a statement on Monday.
According to the ministry, the youth had wanted to engage in armed violence alongside the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and had started making preparations to carry out his plans.
Upon his release from custody, the youth is required to abide by the conditions specified in the RO. He will have to attend religious counselling and has to stop accessing violent or extremist online material. He will also not be allowed to leave Singapore without permission or to issue public statements.
"His release on an RO, with conditions attached, provides a balance between rehabilitation and preserving public security," the ministry said.
"Further measures will be taken against him if he breaches the conditions of the RO, or if it is assessed that further measures are needed to protect public security."
In April, a 19-year-old Singaporean who had made plans to join the ISIS and carry out attacks was also detained under the ISA. The post-secondary school student had intended to assassinate President Tony Tan Keng Yam and Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong if he was unable to leave Singapore.