You are here
PAP keeps Tampines GRC with 72% of votes
PEOPLE'S Action Party (PAP) retained the Tampines GRC with 72.06 per cent of the votes in a rematch against the National Solidarity Party (NSP).
The PAP team got 95,202 votes versus the NSP's 36,920. The number of rejected votes was 3,638.
The voter turnout for the GRC, which has 143,518 voters, was 94.59 per cent.
PAP won the Tampines GRC in GE2011, also beating the NSP, with 57.22 per cent of the votes.
The GE2015 PAP Tampines GRC team is headed by Education Minister Heng Swee Keat. The other members are Minister in the Prime Minister's Office Masagos Zulkifli, Baey Yam Keng, unionist Desmond Choo and Cheng Li Hui. The latter two are new team members.
In a victory speech, Mr Heng said he was grateful for the strong support from residents and promised to work hard to create a better future for the entire country.
Mr Heng was one of four first term ministers to lead the GRC battles. He was dubbed one of the members of the "Fantastic Five" who were touted to be the core of the fourth-generation leadership when they were introduced as candidates at the 2011 GE.
All were high flying civil servants and generals in the Singapore Armed Forces before they entered policies. The fifth member Ong Ye Kung was in the PAP team that lost in Aljunied GRC. This time round, he was fielded in the Sembawang GRC team headed by National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan.
NSP had sent its best team for the Tampines GRC rematch. The team is headed by its president Sebastian Teo; the rest are Cambridge-educated lawyer and NSP secretary-general Lim Tean, business consultant Nor Lella Mardiiiah Mohamed, assistant secretary-general Reno Fong, and business administrator Choong Hon Heng. Only Mr Fong was in the original 2011 GE team.
- PAP racks up landslide win, takes 83 out of 89 seats
- PAP wins bigger than expected with the silent majority's backing
- A stunning outcome, a moment to reflect
- WP support wanes amid swing to PAP
- Sample counts prove their worth in GE2015
- WP retains Aljunied by the skin of its teeth
- PAP wins comfortably against WP in East Coast
- SDP shut out in Holland-Bukit Timah
- PAP takes Marine Parade with 64% of votes
- Major vote swing
- PAP's Cheryl Chan wins Fengshan SMC
- WP retains Hougang with smaller 57.7% vote share
- Charles Chong regains Punggol East for PAP in close contest
- PAP wins MacPherson with 65.6% of votes
- PAP's Sitoh retains Potong Pasir with firm win over SPP's Lina Chiam
- PM's team enjoys 9.3-point jump in votes
- Solid wins for PAP in Tanjong Pagar, Jln Besar, Radin Mas
- PAP retains 3 strongholds with larger margins
- PAP teams in north-west widen victory margins
- PAP sets the record in Jurong GRC with blistering 79.3% win
Follow our Singapore General Election coverage online at bt.sg/ge_15