You are here

Uber CEO quits Trump's business advisory group

Friday, February 3, 2017 - 08:19

kalanick.jpg
Uber chief executive Travis Kalanick on Thursday quit US President Donald Trump's business advisory group, as a movement grew to dump the ride-sharing service because of his connection to the new administration.

[SAN FRANCISCO] Uber Technologies Inc Chief Executive Officer Travis Kalanick, facing criticism from immigration advocates for serving on President Donald Trump's business advisory group, quit the group on Thursday, the company said.

The CEO of the ride hailing service had been under mounting pressure from activists who oppose the administration's immigration policies. Critics included Uber drivers, many of whom are immigrants themselves.

"Joining the group was not meant to be an endorsement of the president or his agenda but unfortunately it has been misinterpreted to be exactly that," Mr Kalanick, who had planned to attend a meeting of the group on Friday, said in an email to staff that was seen by Reuters.

Uber spokeswoman Chelsea Kohler later confirmed that he had left the group.

sentifi.com

Market voices on:

Social media campaigns had targeted Uber, urging users to delete accounts and opt for rival Lyft Inc. Uber has been emailing users who deleted their accounts to say it shares their concerns and will compensate drivers affected by the ban.

Mr Kalanick said he spoke briefly to Mr Trump about the immigration order "and its issues for our community" and told the president he would not join the economic council.

The CEO came under increasing pressure to leave the council after Mr Trump issued an executive order temporarily barring people from seven majority-Muslim nations from entering the United States.

"There are many ways we will continue to advocate for just change on immigration but staying on the council was going to get in the way of that. The executive order is hurting many people in communities all across America," he wrote in a note to employees.

"Families are being separated, people are stranded overseas and there's a growing fear the US is no longer a place that welcomes immigrants." The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The move could put pressure on other CEOs expected to attend a meeting with Mr Trump on Friday. General Motors Co said its chief executive will attend, while Walt Disney Co said earlier Thursday its chief executive would not attend because of a long-planned-board meeting.

Others expected to take part include the CEOs of JPMorgan Chase & Co, Blackstone Group LP, IBM Corp and Wal-Mart Stores Inc.

Others that are part of the council include Tesla Motors chief executive Elon Musk, PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi and Boston Consulting Group CEO Rich Lesser.

The departure could signal a growing rift between technology companies and Washington.

"There is a battle brewing between Trump and Silicon Valley," said Neeraj Agrawal, general partner at Battery Ventures.

"They (the Trump administration) clearly don't value the economic activity generated by tech."

Microsoft Corp on Thursday said it proposed a modification of Mr Trump's travel limits.

Technology companies including Microsoft, Google owner Alphabet Inc, Apple Inc and Amazon.com Inc have opposed Mr Trump's order, arguing that they rely on workers from around the world.

Amazon and Expedia Inc have filed court documents supporting a legal challenge to the order by the Washington state attorney general.

REUTERS

Nespresso
Pair your daily business read with the perfect cup of espresso.

Subscribe to The Business Times today to receive your very own Nespresso Inissia coffee machine worth $188.

Find out more at btsub.sg/btdeal

Powered by GET.comGetCom