[SYDNEY] Australian authorities hunting for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 said they have new analysis that reaffirms the plane's most likely resting place is within the current search zone, as they seek to solve one of the biggest mysteries in modern aviation history.
Australia's Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss will hold a news conference at 10.30am in Canberra to release a new report from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, according to a statement on Thursday.
The report "reaffirms the highest probability of the resting place of the aircraft in the current 120,000 square kilometer search zone," the statement said. It's not clear whether search teams will switch focus within the zone or continue as previously planned.
Investigators have fruitlessly trawled through more than 70,000 sq km of sea bed underneath the southern Indian Ocean. Australia's Defence Science and Technology Group has now carried out further work to help search teams, the statement said.
The only solid evidence so far from Malaysia Airlines' missing Boeing Co. 777 has been a wing component that washed up in July on Reunion Island - 3,800 kilometers from the current search zone.
Flight 370 was en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur in March 2014 with 239 people on board when it disappeared.
Investigators have concluded that someone on board intentionally disabled the aircraft's tracking devices.