Receive $80 Grab vouchers valid for use on all Grab services except GrabHitch and GrabShuttle when you subscribe to BT All-Digital at only $0.99*/month.
Find out more at btsub.sg/promo
[THE HAGUE] Investigators probing the shooting down of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 said Tuesday they had identified pieces that "possibly" come from a Russian-made BUK missile from eastern Ukraine, where the plane crashed.
International and Dutch investigators are probing "several parts, possibly originating from a BUK surface-air-missile system," said a joint statement from prosecutors and the Dutch Safety Board (OVV).
"These parts have been secured during a previous recovery-mission in eastern Ukraine and are in possession of the criminal investigation team MH17 and the Dutch Safety Board," it said.
Flight MH17 was shot down on July 17 last year, killing all 298 people on board during heavy fighting between Kiev's armed forces and pro-Russian separatists.
Ukraine and many in the West have accused pro-Russian rebels of shooting down the plane, saying they may have used a BUK missile supplied by Russia.
Russia and the rebels deny any responsibility and point the finger at Ukraine's military.
Members of the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) comprising representatives from the Netherlands, Ukraine, Malaysia, Australia, Britain, the United States and Russia are currently meeting in The Hague to discuss a draft OVV report into what caused the crash.
The statement from the OVV and JIT said that the pieces being investigated "can possibly provide more information about who was involved in the crash of MH17." "For that reason the JIT further investigates the origin of these parts. The JIT will internationally enlist the help of experts, among others forensic specialists and weapon-experts," it said.
Investigators stressed that "at present the conclusion cannot be drawn that there is a causal connection between the discovered parts and the crash of flight MH17." Russia last month vetoed a bid at the United Nations Security Council to set up an international tribunal to try those behind the shooting down.
Countries involved in that bid are now looking at other means to carry out a prosecution, although no suspects have yet been publicly identified or detained.
The OVV is to release its final report into what, but not who, downed the aircraft in October.