You are here
SMRT to be fined S$5.4 million for July 7 train breakdown
The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has slapped a S$5.4 million fine on SMRT Corp for the massive breakdown of its North-South and East-West lines on July 7.
This is the highest financial penalty on a rail operator since the two disruptions in Dec 2011 which affected about 221,000 commuters. SMRT had been fined S$2 million then.
LTA has concluded that the disruption was due to maintenance lapses by the firm, said LTA chief executive Chew Men Leong.
"LTA hence intends to impose a high financial penalty on SMRT in light of the seriousness of the incident, and given that several hundred thousands of train commuters, as well as motorists and bus commuters, were inconvenienced by this disruption," he said. "We require SMRT to review and improve their maintenance regime to prevent future occurrences."
Money from the latest fine will be directed to the Public Transport Fund to help needy families with their public transport expenditure, said LTA.