[NEW YORK] United Airlines chief executive Oscar Munoz, who suffered a heart attack last month, plans to return to work in the first quarter of 2016, the parent company said Thursday.
United Continental Holdings released a letter from Mr Munoz to United employees announcing his plans.
"I am excited to tell you that I am on the road to recovery," Mr Munoz said.
"My time away will be a little longer than I would like, but based upon discussion with my doctors I will be back in the first quarter."
Mr Munoz has been on leave since October 16 after suffering a heart attack the prior day. On October 19, United Continental appointed general counsel Brett Hart as acting chief executive.
Mr Munoz was named CEO of United Continental on September 8 after the surprise ouster of Jeff Smisek linked to a federal investigation into allegedly inappropriate dealings with the New York regional transportation authority. Two other top executives also resigned.