Jurong West Secondary student not infected with Covid-19: TTSH says it made a mistake
[SINGAPORE] Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) said on Tuesday that human error in its laboratory had led to a false diagnosis of a student who was reported as having Covid-19.
A Secondary 1 female student from Jurong West Secondary School was reported last Friday to have tested positive for coronavirus. She was swabbed because she had been in contact with a schoolmate who was previously confirmed to be infected.
In a statement, TTSH said: "Our investigations revealed that there was an erroneous reporting of this case by our laboratory.
"This arose from a human error in the laboratory where two patients had their specimens cross-labelled."
The hospital said that the student is well and has been discharged.
The other patient, who was in isolation, has since been admitted to National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID) and remains stable.
Navigate Asia in
a new global order
Get the insights delivered to your inbox.
TTSH said that the original test was undertaken by its laboratory. Subsequently, the student was admitted to the National University Hospital and was again tested twice, and found to be negative on both occasions.
The TTSH laboratory repeated a polymerase chain reaction test on the original sample and the result was negative.
Both patients have been informed of the mislabelling incident, said the hospital, adding that it has apologised for the anxiety caused.
"We are sorry for the mistake and sincerely regret the inconvenience caused to our patients and her school," it said.
"We have audited our laboratory testing for Covid-19 for that period and no other mislabelling was discovered. We have also put in place additional checks to prevent such an incident from occurring again."
The Ministry of Education (MOE) had said last Saturday that the 13-year-old girl from Jurong West Secondary had been serving a home quarantine order by MOH since last Monday, as she was a close contact of her school mate who was infected earlier.
About 70 students and staff close contacts of the infected 13-year-old boy from the same school had tested negative for Covid-19.
The school has been cleaned and disinfected several times since the last weekend, said MOE, with more disinfection and cleaning of the premises being done on Saturday.
Jurong West Secondary had placed all Secondary 1 students on home-based learning last Wednesday and Thursday, pending the outcome of MOH's investigations. As an added precaution, the home-based learning period for Secondary 1 students will be extended until this week before the start of the one-week mid-term break.
THE STRAITS TIMES
Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.
Copyright SPH Media. All rights reserved.