Brazil executives in graft probe agree major plea deal: source

Published Thu, Dec 1, 2016 · 11:27 PM

    [BRASÍLIA] Scores of executives at a Brazilian construction firm embroiled in a huge corruption scandal have agreed to a plea deal, a source close to the company said on Thursday, raising the prospect of politically explosive revelations.

    The affair involving the construction firm Odebrecht and state oil giant Petrobras threatens to implicate conservative President Michel Temer, in office since May.

    The source told AFP that 77 current and former Odebrecht executives, including the firm's jailed boss Marcelo Odebrecht, had signed the plea deal to cooperate with prosecutors in return for lighter sentences.

    The firm also agreed to pay a US$2-billion dollar fine over the affair.

    Marcelo Odebrecht was reported earlier this year to have named Mr Temer in testimony to investigators.

    The executives are being investigated as part of a huge probe into corruption at state oil firm Petrobras.

    DECODING ASIA

    Navigate Asia in
    a new global order

    Get the insights delivered to your inbox.

    That affair has engulfed numerous top politicians and has driven several of Mr Temer's ministers to resign.

    AFP

    Share with us your feedback on BT's products and services