SUBSCRIBERS

Russia continues preparations for 2018 World Cup

Published Wed, Jun 3, 2015 · 09:50 PM

Moscow

RUSSIA is going ahead with preparations for the 2018 World Cup despite the shock resignation of Fifa boss Sepp Blatter amid a high-profile corruption scandal, the Kremlin said on Wednesday. "The main thing is Russia is continuing preparations for the 2018 World Cup," President Vladimir Putin's spokesman told reporters. "All plans are being implemented, work is underway," spokesman Dmitry Peskov was quoted as saying by Russian news agencies.

Mr Putin last month accused Washington of trying to oust Mr Blatter after he resisted pressure to stop Russia from hosting the 2018 World Cup. His spokesman admitted that Tuesday's resignation of the long-time world football boss had "of course" caught the Kremlin by surprise.

Copyright SPH Media. All rights reserved.