Continental investigates cyberattack after report says data up for sale

Published Tue, Nov 15, 2022 · 07:54 PM
    • Continental said its investigation was moving ahead with the highest priority.
    • Continental said its investigation was moving ahead with the highest priority. PHOTO: REUTERS

    CONTINENTAL on Tuesday (Nov 15) said it was investigating the theft of company data in a cyberattack but declined to comment on media reports that hackers had put the information up for sale.

    The tyre and automotive parts manufacturer said its investigation was moving ahead with the highest priority.

    Last week it said a cyberattack it reported in August had resulted in some data being stolen from the company.

    Earlier on Tuesday business daily Handelsblatt reported that hackers had published a list of the data on the darknet and that it included budget, investment and strategy plans, as well as information related to some Continental customers.

    Handelsblatt said the hackers had put the data up for sale for US$50 million after Continental “apparently did not want to pay a ransom”. REUTERS

    Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.

    Share with us your feedback on BT's products and services