Electronic Arts forecasts weak bookings as competition, lower spending weigh
VIDEOGAME publisher Electronic Arts (EA) forecast quarterly net bookings below expectations and missed first-quarter estimates on Tuesday (Aug 1), hurt by high competition and muted spending by gamers, sending its shares down 3 per cent after the bell.
Legacy videogame publishers such EA are not only struggling with slowing spending, but also fighting for top spots with new entrants like Warner Bros Discovery, whose Harry Potter-based game Hogwarts Legacy was among the best-selling games this year through May, according to market research firm Circana.
Elevated inflation has forced gamers to get picky with the titles they choose, with many returning to only their favourite franchises because of tight budgets.
EA said Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, the latest videogame based on the storied Star Wars franchise launched in April, did well, while it saw lower in-game spending in multi-player shooter game Apex Legends.
“This quarter, net bookings were below expectations, largely driven by underperformance from Season 17 (of Apex Legends),” CFO Stuart Canfield said in a post-earnings call.
EA forecast net bookings in the range US$1.70 billion to US$1.80 billion for its quarter ending Sep 30, below analysts’ estimate of US$1.81 billion, according to Refinitiv data.
The company, which kept its fiscal 2024 booking forecast intact, expects to debut in September EA Sports FC, EA’s new football franchise after it ended its partnership with Fifa last year.
In the first quarter, the company posted net bookings of US$1.58 billion, compared with Refinitiv estimates of US$1.59 billion. It earned 96 US cents per share on an adjusted basis and missed expectations of US$1.02. REUTERS
Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.
Share with us your feedback on BT's products and services
TRENDING NOW
Two-thirds of Sentosa Cove resales in the red, with average loss topping S$1 million since 2023
Singapore at 61: How we can ensure opportunity, security and ownership for the next generation
Too little, too late? Manila’s billion-dollar bid to ignite its sputtering EV industry
How BYD disrupted Singapore’s car market – and why the strategy is turning on itself