Malaysia's Petronas secures extra gas supply after hit from Putra Heights pipeline fire
[KUALA LUMPUR] Malaysian oil and gas giant Petroliam Nasional said on Wednesday (Apr 16) it has secured additional gas supplies to minimise supply disruptions caused by the huge fire at the Putra Heights pipeline earlier this month.
PETRONAS Energy & Gas Trading (PEGT) has procured an extra 155 million standard cubic feet per day (MMSCFD) of gas, boosting the total supply volume to 400 MMSCFD via the Trans Thailand-Malaysia (TTM) gas pipeline system, the company said.
This increased supply – directed towards the northern region of Peninsular Malaysia, including Bestari Jaya, Meru and Kapar – has helped stabilise supply, Petronas said.
It said that it has also added an extra 86 MMSCFD supply to the Serdang City Gate for the Interconnected Klang Valley distribution network, a joint effort with Gas Malaysia Berhad to expand gas distribution network supply capacity.
The fire earlier this month at the Petronas-operated pipeline affected at least 305 people, including those left homeless after some 190 homes were damaged, authorities said.
It also led to interrupted gas supply in several areas, impacting four power plants initially, of which the Kapar and Serdang plants are now operating normally following the additional supply, Petronas said.
It said it currently expects the restoration of the Putra Heights pipeline by July 1 at the earliest. REUTERS
Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.
Share with us your feedback on BT's products and services
TRENDING NOW
Two-thirds of Sentosa Cove resales in the red, with average loss topping S$1 million since 2023
Singapore at 61: How we can ensure opportunity, security and ownership for the next generation
Too little, too late? Manila’s billion-dollar bid to ignite its sputtering EV industry
How BYD disrupted Singapore’s car market – and why the strategy is turning on itself