Independent audit of Top Glove's labour practices completed

Janice Heng

Janice Heng

Published Fri, Aug 28, 2020 · 10:51 AM

MALAYSIAN medical glove-maker Top Glove Corporation said on Friday that the verification of its labour practices - for the purpose of lifting a detention order imposed on it by United States authorities - has been completed.

In a statement after the market closed, the company said that the required work had been completed by the independent consultant appointed to verify labour practices at its manufacturing facilities and accommodation.

This independent audit entailed virtual interviews with about 1,100 migrant workers employed by Top Glove. The report is expected to be available within 10 days, and will be submitted to the office of the US Customs and Border Protection.

In July, US authorities had placed a detention order on imports of Top Glove's products due to alleged forced-labour practices.

On Aug 10, Top Glove began part remediation for the recruitment fees amounting to RM4.4 million (S$1.43 million) to 9,204 of its migrant workers, who had joined before the company's implementation of a zero-cost recruitment policy.

The total remediation fee to be paid is estimated at RM53 million, subject to finalisation with the US authorities.

DECODING ASIA

Navigate Asia in
a new global order

Get the insights delivered to your inbox.

"The company continues to enhance its migrant workers' working and living environment and facilities," said Top Glove, stating its commitment to carrying through with the remediation plans.

Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.

Copyright SPH Media. All rights reserved.