Indian tribunal approves US$8.5 billion Disney, Reliance media assets merger
AN INDIAN company tribunal has approved the US$8.5 billion merger of Reliance Industries and Disney’s Indian media assets, Reliance said on Friday (Aug 30).
Earlier this week, the companies had won approval from the Competition Commission of India for the deal, after assuaging regulatory worries about their grip on broadcasting rights for cricket.
The competition regulator had said the deal, which will create the country’s biggest entertainment player, was being approved subject to modifications submitted voluntarily by the companies, without sharing further details. A detailed order is yet to be issued.
To get the merger over the line, the two companies have offered concessions, including a commitment to not raise advertising rates unreasonably for streamed cricket matches, and to sell seven to eight non-sports TV channels, a source familiar with the matter had told Reuters.
On Thursday, at Reliance’s annual shareholders meeting, billionaire-chairman Mukesh Ambani had welcomed the merger and said, “our expanded media business will be an invaluable growth centre in the Reliance ecosystem”.
Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.
Share with us your feedback on BT's products and services
TRENDING NOW
When every phone becomes a satellite phone, what happens to Asia’s telcos?
Koh Brothers Eco Engineering faces up to S$57.6 million in potential legal liabilities
Too little, too late? Manila’s billion-dollar bid to ignite its sputtering EV industry
DayOne secures S$530 million green loan from DBS, OCBC and UOB for Singapore data centre