You are here
A*Star's institute, Microsoft to establish architecture for Singapore's Smart Nation platform
THE Agency of Science, Technology and Research (A*Star) on Monday announced that its Institute for Infocomm Research (I²R) has partnered Microsoft to establish a joint Reference Architecture for Singapore's Smart Nation platform.
The collaboration will focus on establishing the business architecture for member agencies, and developing the technical architecture based on Singapore's Smart Nation operating system requirements, said A*Star.
The new collaboration framework between Microsoft Singapore and I²R will foster closer collaboration between I²R's member agencies to promote Singapore as a test-bed for the Smart Nation Platform and its related pilot trials, and enable the parties to jointly achieve the following objectives:
- Develop innovative technologies in data analytics, smarter networks and cybersecurity;
- Innovate next-generation video-based solutions through scalable multimedia platforms and advanced video analytics;
- Collaborate to build a greener and safer Smart Nation through intelligent transport systems, urban mobility and renewable energy systems;
- Gather Internet of Things (IoT) data and provide input to regulators implementing licence-exempt regulatory frameworks;
- Educate stakeholders on Smart Nation related technologies and their benefits; and
- Be a credible promoter of the Smart Nation Platform, to enhance its potential and to assist regulators of other countries in adopting Smart Nation Platform in their countries.
Smart Nation is Singapore's vision to fully harness the potential of technology to improve the lives of citizens, create greater opportunities for business, and build a more anticipatory government, said A*Star in a statement.
The Smart Nation platform provides an operating system through which all public agencies can connect, collect, and manage the essential data that is captured and collected via sensors placed around Singapore. It will also ensure that data collected and shared will be managed securely.