You are here
June 8 declared Day of National Remembrance for victims of Sabah quake
MONDAY, June 8, has been declared a Day of National Remembrance for the victims of the Sabah earthquake that shook Mount Kinabalu on Friday, a statement from the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) said on Sunday.
"State flags on all Government buildings will be flown at half-mast. One minute of silence will be observed at the beginning of the day at all SEA Games venues," the statement said.
As of Sunday, six students and one teacher from Tanjong Katong Primary School were confirmed dead following the 6.0-magnitude earthquake that struck Sabah on Friday. An adventure guide, who had accompanied the students, had also died.
They had been part of a group of 29 pupils and eight teachers who were on an overseas learning trip to Kota Kinabalu. One teacher and one student remain missing.
"On behalf of all Singaporeans, the Prime Minister expresses his deepest condolences and sympathies to their families and loved ones. As we grieve over the loss of these young lives, we also take heart that they were striving to stretch their limits and take on new challenges," the PMO statement said.
"The Prime Minister also thanks all those who are working tirelessly in the search, rescue and recovery efforts - the Malaysian authorities, the search and rescue teams, the hospital staff, and all the officers and volunteers who are helping in one way or other in Sabah and Singapore."