You are here
One dead in blast at Italy consulate in Cairo: ministry
[CAIRO] One person was killed on Saturday in a powerful explosion that partly damaged the Italian consulate in central Cairo, health ministry spokesman Hossam Abdel Ghaffar said.
His statement came after a medic told an AFP journalist at the scene of the blast that it had wounded two policemen and three passers-by, but Abdel Ghaffar was unable to specify if the dead person was a member of the security forces or the public.
Egypt’s official MENA news agency said that early indications were that the explosion was caused by a bomb that had been planted in a car parked near the consulate.