You are here
Lee Li Lian to square off against Charles Chong in Punggol East
INCUMBENT Lee Li Lian, defending the Workers' Party (WP)-held Punggol East single-member constituency (SMC) seat, is "looking forward to a clean and respectable campaign" as she faces off the People's Action Party's (PAP) Charles Chong, who said "it is time for change" in the 2015 General Election.
The declarations from both candidates follow the filing of their nomination papers at Fengshan Primary School on Tuesday.
Mr Chong, 62, will try to wrest control of the ward from Ms Lee, 37, who won the seat in a 2013 by-election.
Speaking to his supporters, he said there are nine days left to convince residents of Punggol East SMC that there is now an alternative choice. "In 10 days' time, we must win Punggol East back for our families, for our dearest and for our future," he said.
In 2013, Ms Lee contested in a four-cornered fight, which included the PAP's first-time candidate Koh Poh Koon, after former Parliament speaker Michael Palmer was forced to step down. She garnered a narrow win of 54.5 per cent of the vote share then.
In delivering her one-minute speech to her supporters on Tuesday, Ms Lee said: "In (the) 2013 by-election, you gave me the mandate to represent you in Parliament. (On the) 11th of September, vote for me, so that I can continue to speak up for you. Vote Workers' Party, empower your future!"
The battle between the two candidates is expected to be keen.
Mr Chong, a seasoned politician, has fought six general elections since he entered politics in 1988. He started out in Sembawang GRC (Group Representation Constituency) before moving to Eunos GRC, Pasir Ris GRC and Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC, where he served two terms.
Mr Chong's current Joo Chiat single-seat ward has been absorbed by Marine Parade GRC following the electoral boundaries review in late July.
Current Moulmein-Kallang GRC MP Edwin Tong will take over the ward, if he is elected, as part of the five-man Marine Parade GRC team.
- For the first time, a fight for every seat
- PM: This GE's about govt, leadership, S'pore's direction
- PM Lee faces Reform Party challenge at Ang Mo Kio
- PAP 'especially concerned about middle-aged, mid-career S'poreans'
- WP digs in at Aljunied against the PAP
- WP, PAP both say they have worked the ground at Marine Parade GRC
- Tough fight in the east between PAP and opposition
- Tanjong Pagar GRC to get its first contest in nearly 30 years
- PAP fields familiar faces to take on SDP in Bukit Panjang SMC, Holland-Bukit Timah GRC
- Stage set for three-cornered fight in MacPherson SMC
- No surprise in candidates fielded at Fengshan SMC
- It's a PAP-SPP battle in Potong Pasir, as independent pulls out
- 'A keen fight' expected for Hougang
- Tampines residents face future with confidence: Heng Swee Keat
- PAP to campaign on national and local issues
- Gan Kim Yong: No need for public debate with PPP on healthcare
- Stocks and the poll? A link perhaps
- The candidates