Iran says peace proposal includes reparations for war damage, US troop withdrawal

Teheran also sought the lifting of sanctions, the release of frozen funds and an end to the US marine blockade on the country

Published Tue, May 19, 2026 · 04:23 PM
    • People take part in an anti-US and anti-Israel rally amid a ceasefire between US and Iran, in Teheran.
    • People take part in an anti-US and anti-Israel rally amid a ceasefire between US and Iran, in Teheran. PHOTO: REUTERS

    [DUBAI] Teheran’s latest peace proposal to the United States involves ending hostilities on all fronts including Lebanon, the exit of US forces from areas close to Iran, and reparations for destruction caused by the US-Israeli war, state media reported on Tuesday (May 19).

    In Teheran’s first comments on the proposal, Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said Teheran also sought the lifting of sanctions, the release of frozen funds and an end to the US marine blockade on the country, according to IRNA news agency.

    The terms as described in the Iranian reports appeared little changed from Iran’s previous offer, which US President Donald Trump rejected last week as “garbage”.

    Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned resumption of attacks on Iran after Teheran sent a new peace proposal to Washington, and that there was now a “very good chance” of reaching a deal limiting Iran’s nuclear programme.

    Reuters could not determine whether preparations had been made for strikes that would mark a renewal of the war Trump started in late February.

    Under pressure to reach an accord that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz – a key supply route for global supplies of oil and other commodities – Trump has previously expressed hope that a deal was close on ending the conflict, and similarly threatened heavy strikes on Iran if Tehran did not reach a deal.

    DECODING ASIA

    Navigate Asia in
    a new global order

    Get the insights delivered to your inbox.

    In a social media post, Trump said the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates had requested that he hold off on the attack because “a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond.”

    Speaking to reporters later on Monday, he said the United States would be satisfied if it could reach an agreement with Iran that prevented Teheran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.

    “There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I would be very happy,” Trump told reporters.

    A Pakistani source confirmed that Islamabad, which has conveyed messages between the sides since hosting the only round of peace talks last month, had shared the Iranian proposal with Washington. REUTERS

    Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.

    Share with us your feedback on BT's products and services