Nord Stream 2 operator accepts Denmark’s invitation to help salvage object near pipeline

    • The Danish energy agency said it is “possible” that the object is a maritime smoke buoy, 40 centimetres tall and 10 cm wide, and that it “does not pose an immediate safety risk”.
    • The Danish energy agency said it is “possible” that the object is a maritime smoke buoy, 40 centimetres tall and 10 cm wide, and that it “does not pose an immediate safety risk”. PHOTO: REUTERS
    Published Fri, Mar 24, 2023 · 04:59 PM

    THE Russian-controlled operator of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline on Friday (Mar 24) accepted the Danish Energy Agency’s invitation to help salvage an unidentified object found close to the only remaining intact gas pipeline under the Baltic Sea. 

    The mystery object was spotted near the pipeline six months after sections were sabotaged.

    Russian President Vladimir Putin, who revealed the discovery of the object earlier this month, said experts believe that it could be a signal antenna to activate an explosive in that part of the pipeline.

    German, Swedish and Danish authorities are investigating the undersea explosions that sparked four leaks on the two Nord Stream pipelines in the Baltic Sea in September, seven months after Russia invaded Ukraine.

    The Danish energy agency released a photo late Thursday of the cylindrical object standing near the Nord Stream 2 pipeline at the bottom of the sea.

    The agency said it is “possible” that the object is a maritime smoke buoy, 40 centimetres tall and 10 cm wide, and that it “does not pose an immediate safety risk”.

    “With a view to further clarifying the nature of the object, Danish authorities have decided to salvage the object with assistance from the Danish Defence,” it said in a statement.

    The agency added that it will wait for a response from the pipeline’s owner before starting the recovery operation.

    Russian energy giant Gazprom holds a majority stake in the twin pipelines, with the rest owned by German, Dutch and French companies.

    German prosecutors said earlier this month that, in January, investigators searched a ship suspected of having transported explosives used in the blasts.

    Confirmation of the searches came after the New York Times reported that US officials had seen new intelligence indicating that a “pro-Ukrainian group” was responsible for the sabotage.

    The Ukrainian government denied involvement in the action, while the Kremlin rejected the Times report as “diversion”. AFP, REUTERS

    Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.

    Share with us your feedback on BT's products and services