UK to propose powers to block London listings that pose security risks

Published Wed, May 26, 2021 · 02:14 AM

    [BENGALURU] The UK is set to unveil stricter rules for companies going public on the London Stock Exchange, allowing the listing of companies to be blocked on national security grounds, the treasury department said on Tuesday.

    The department said it will launch a public consultation in coming months as part of the plan.

    "The UK's reputation for clean, transparent markets makes it an attractive global financial centre. We're planning to bolster this by taking a targeted new power to block listings that pose a national security risk, and will launch a consultation to inform its design in the coming months," a treasury spokesperson said in an emailed statement.

    The statement comes after finance minister Rishi Sunak said earlier this year that Britain will modernise its listing rules to attract more high-growth company and blank cheque flotations.

    Earlier in March, Britain's financial regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority, said Britain will use its freedom from European Union rules to regulate markets flexibly and make the City of London even more attractive to global investors.

    Mr Sunak's move to block London stock listings on security grounds was previously reported by the Financial Times.

    DECODING ASIA

    Navigate Asia in
    a new global order

    Get the insights delivered to your inbox.

    REUTERS

    Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.

    Share with us your feedback on BT's products and services