US agriculture chief says new deals may be struck over tariffs by end of week
[WASHINGTON] US Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins said on Tuesday that new deals could be struck with other countries over trade tariffs by the end of this week.
Rollins made the comments in an interview to Fox News host Bret Baier on the network’s Special Report show.
President Donald Trump said last week that he would impose a 10 per cent baseline tariff on all imports to the US and higher duties on dozens of other countries, including some of Washington’s biggest trading partners, rattling global markets and bewildering US allies.
After China retaliated with its own tariffs, the United States said on Tuesday that 104 per cent duties on imports from China would take effect shortly after midnight, even as the Trump administration moved to quickly start talks with other trading partners targeted by Trump’s sweeping tariff plan.
“I believe, sincerely, it will be sooner rather than later. I believe we’ll be hearing about new deals that are being struck, perhaps by the end of the week,” Rollins said, adding 70 countries had reached out to the US for talks.
US stocks dropped on Tuesday for a fourth straight trading day since Trump’s tariffs announcement last week.
The administration has scheduled talks with South Korea and Japan, two close allies and major trading partners, and Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni is due to visit next week.
Trump’s sweeping tariffs have raised fears of recession and upended a global trading order that has been in place for decades. REUTERS
Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.
Share with us your feedback on BT's products and services
TRENDING NOW
How BYD disrupted Singapore’s car market – and why the strategy is turning on itself
OpenAI steps up Singapore footprint, in talks to lease 100,000 sq ft in Shaw Tower
When every phone becomes a satellite phone, what happens to Asia’s telcos?
Vietnam seeks US$76 billion a year from capital markets to ease reliance on banks