US Army awards Lockheed up to US$4.5 billion missiles contract
LOCKHEED Martin said on Monday (Apr 3) the US Army has awarded a multi-year production contract for Joint-Air-to-Ground Missiles (JAGM) and HELLFIRE missiles, in a deal that could go up to US$4.5 billion including follow-on awards.
The contract, which will have a total value of US$439 million in its first year, is among the first multi-year awards for precision munitions, as the Pentagon looks to build stocks in the hopes of deterring China.
In March, President Joe Biden requested US$842 billion for the Pentagon and US$44 billion for defence-related programmes at the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Department of Energy and other agencies. The 2024 budget proposal is US$28 billion more than last year’s US$858 billion.
Lockheed added the contract also offers three additional follow-on awards which will start in late 2023, allowing for a total contract value of up to US$4.5 billion over the next four years.
The JAGM programme anticipates a “significant increase” in international demand for the weapon system, Lockheed said. REUTERS
Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.
Share with us your feedback on BT's products and services
TRENDING NOW
Koh Brothers Eco Engineering faces up to S$57.6 million in potential legal liabilities
Too little, too late? Manila’s billion-dollar bid to ignite its sputtering EV industry
When every phone becomes a satellite phone, what happens to Asia’s telcos?
Father-and-son duo Raj Kumar and Kishin in exclusive due diligence to buy Scotts Square