Venezuela initiates visa requirement for US travellers
[CARACAS] Venezuela on Tuesday began requiring US travellers to seek visas before visiting the South American nation amid an escalation of diplomatic tensions between Washington and the administration of President Nicolas Maduro.
The socialist government on Monday ordered the US Embassy in Caracas to slash its staff by 80 per cent, days after Mr Maduro said several Americans had been detained on suspicions they were involved in espionage.
A resolution published in the Official Gazette eliminates the United States from a list of 65 countries exempt from tourist visa requirements, and instructs US passport holders to comply with "established legal norms" to obtain visas.
Mr Maduro said over the weekend that Americans would have to pay the same consular fees as Venezuelans travelling to the United States, which currently ranges from US$160-US$190.
The resolution also contains a list of US political figures barred from entering Venezuela for having committed "acts of terrorism and grave human rights violations."
The list includes former President George W Bush, former Vice President Dick Cheney, former intelligence chief George Tenet, Senator Marco Rubio, Senator Bob Menendez, Congressman Mario Diaz-Balart and Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen.
Navigate Asia in
a new global order
Get the insights delivered to your inbox.
Like his predecessor Hugo Chavez, Mr Maduro has frequently clashed with the United States and often accuses Washington of backing conspiracy efforts against him.
Although the Bush administration did endorse a coup against Mr Chavez in 2002 before back-tracking when he returned to power, Washington has repeatedly denied meddling in Venezuelan affairs.
REUTERS
Share with us your feedback on BT's products and services
TRENDING NOW
Singtel H2 net profit down 20.9% at S$2.2 billion; telco open to Aussie minority partner in Optus
Yeo’s, Tiger Beer and now Gardenia – flight of food manufacturing from Singapore might be just as planned
Apex court rejects resulting trust claim in 99-1 condo dispute
Singtel seeks clarity on participating in telco consolidation after M1-Simba fallout; weighs Reit IPO