WeWork raises ‘substantial doubt’ about staying in business
WEWORK said there’s “substantial doubt” about its ability to continue operating, citing sustained losses and cancelled memberships to its office spaces.
The co-working company will focus over the next 12 months on reducing rental costs, negotiating more favourable leases, increasing revenue and raising capital, WeWork said in a statement on Tuesday (Aug 8).
WeWork’s office locations, which emptied out during the early months of the Covid-19 pandemic, were showing slow progress towards filling back up over the last year. But the recovery appears so far to be unsustainable. WeWork said occupancy dropped in the second quarter compared to the previous quarter.
The New York-based company has also been weathering a change in leadership. Sandeep Mathrani, who took over as chief executive officer in early 2020, left in May to become a partner at private equity firm Sycamore Partners. WeWork currently has an interim CEO.
Mathrani had taken over soon after co-founder and former CEO Adam Neumann was ousted for failing to take the high-flying startup public in 2019. On Tuesday, WeWork said three of its independent board members are being replaced by four new board members.
Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.
Share with us your feedback on BT's products and services
TRENDING NOW
How BYD disrupted Singapore’s car market – and why the strategy is turning on itself
Two-thirds of Sentosa Cove resales in the red, with average loss topping S$1 million since 2023
AI infrastructure can lead South-east Asia’s next growth story: UOB
MAS eases family office tax rules, widens AML checks as Singapore vies for global wealth