Vietnam orders workers at Samsung Display unit to be quarantined after COVID-19 case
[HANOI] Authorities in northern Vietnam have ordered people working at a unit of Samsung Display in the country to be quarantined after a worker there tested positive for the new coronavirus.
A 25-year-old worker of the EQC-SI unit of the Samsung Display factory in Bac Ninh province tested positive on Sunday, according to a statement released on Monday by the anti-COVID-19 task force of neighbouring Bac Giang province.
Parent Samsung Electronics Co Ltd confirmed the case, but said Samsung Display's production lines in Vietnam had not been affected.
Nguyen Huong Giang, chair of the People's Committee of Bac Ninh province, told state broadcaster VTV on Monday that 44 people at the unit had been quarantined, and that the factory and buses used to transport workers have been sprayed with disinfectant.
Samsung Electronics is the largest single foreign investor in the Southeast Asian country, and its shipments, mostly smartphones, account for around a quarter of Vietnam's exports.
Vietnam's health ministry has reported 262 COVID-19 cases in the country, and no deaths.
REUTERS
Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.
Share with us your feedback on BT's products and services
TRENDING NOW
Singapore developer in limbo after Timor-Leste scraps major township project
From hawker stall to Enterprise Award winner: How Han Keen Juan scaled the Old Chang Kee empire
‘I feel so stupid’: How young Indonesians get stuck on the debt treadmill
Hanoi orders 20% surge in IP enforcement cases in May after US warning