You are here
Mauritius joins hunt for MH370 debris
[PORT LOUIS, Mauritius] Mauritius said on Monday it would do all it can to search in its Indian Ocean waters for possible debris from Malaysia Airlines missing flight MH370, after wreckage washed up on nearby La Reunion.
"We have responded positively to a request from the government of Malaysia," Deputy Prime Minister Xavier-Luc Duval told reporters on Monday. "Every effort will be undertaken to locate any debris."
Coastguard ships were deployed Monday in the search, while appeals were made to private boats and fishermen to inform police if they sighted any possible wreckage, Mr Duval added.
In one of the most baffling mysteries in aviation history, MH370 inexplicably veered off course in March 2014 and disappeared from radars, sparking a colossal hunt that has until now proved fruitless.
In January, Malaysian authorities declared all 239 people on board presumed dead.
Last week a wing part washed up on the French Indian Ocean island of La Reunion, and has been taken to France to for physical and chemical analysis.
Aready confirmed to be part of a Boeing 777, it is virtually certain to have come from the doomed Malaysia Airlines flight, as no other such plane is known to have crashed in the area.