Iran reviewing latest US response on ending war, as Trump suggests he can wait for a few days
Trump also reiterated his determination not to allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon
[DUBAI/WASHINGTON] Iran said on Thursday (May 21) it was reviewing Washington’s latest position on ending the war after US President Donald Trump suggested he was prepared to wait a few days to “get the right answers” from Teheran but warned of renewed attacks if it did not agree to a deal.
“We have received US views and are reviewing them,” Iranian state-run agency Nour News quoted Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei as saying.
Pakistan, which hosted peace talks in April and is acting as the conduit for messages between the two sides, continues to mediate between Teheran and Washington, he added, with several rounds of communication having taken place. Pakistan’s interior minister was in Teheran on Wednesday.
Six weeks since a fragile ceasefire came into force, talks to end the war have shown little progress, while soaring oil prices have raised concern over inflation and the impact on the global economy. Trump is also under pressure at home ahead of midterm elections in November, with his approval rating dropping close to its lowest level since he returned to the White House on the surge in fuel prices.
“Believe me, if we do not get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We are all ready to go,” he said at Joint Base Andrews. Asked how long he would wait, Trump said, “It could be a few days, but it could go very quickly.”
Trump reiterated his determination not to allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon. “We are in the final stages of Iran. We will see what happens. Either have a deal or we are going to do some things that are a little bit nasty, but hopefully that will not happen,” Trump told reporters earlier in the day. “Ideally, I’d like to see few people killed, as opposed to a lot. We can do it either way.”
Navigate Asia in
a new global order
Get the insights delivered to your inbox.
Earlier, Iran’s Revolutionary Guards warned against renewed attacks. “If aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will extend beyond the region this time,” it said in a statement.
Iran submitted its latest offer to the US this week. Teheran’s descriptions suggest it largely repeats terms Trump previously rejected, including demands for control of the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damage, lifting of sanctions, release of frozen assets and the withdrawal of US troops.
Chinese tankers cross strait
The Strait of Hormuz, which carried a fifth of oil and liquefied natural gas shipments before the war, has been all but closed since the war began in the most serious disruption to global energy supplies in history.
SEE ALSO
On Wednesday, Iran released a map showing a “controlled maritime zone” at the strait and said transit would require authorisation from an authority set up to control the area. It says it aims to reopen the strait to friendly countries that abide by its terms. That could potentially include fees for access, which Washington says would be unacceptable.
Two Chinese supertankers carrying a total of around 4 million barrels of oil exited the strait on Wednesday, while a South Korean tanker with 2 million barrels of crude loaded in Kuwait was also crossing the strait in cooperation with Iran.
Shipping monitor Lloyd’s List said at least 54 ships had transited the strait last week, about double the previous week. Iran said 26 ships had crossed in the past 24 hours, still only a fraction of the 125 to 140 daily passages before the war.
US-Israeli bombing killed thousands of people in Iran before the ceasefire. Israel has also killed thousands more and driven hundreds of thousands from their homes in Lebanon, which it invaded in pursuit of the Iran-backed Hizbollah armed group. Iranian strikes on Israel and neighbouring Gulf states have killed dozens of people.
Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said their war aims were to curb Iran’s support for regional militias, dismantle its nuclear programme, destroy its missile capabilities and make it easier for Iranians to topple their rulers.
But Iran has so far retained its stockpile of near-weapons-grade enriched uranium, and its ability to threaten neighbours with missiles, drones and proxy militias. Its clerical rulers, who put down a mass uprising at the start of 2026, have faced no sign of organised opposition since the war began. REUTERS
Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.
Share with us your feedback on BT's products and services
TRENDING NOW
Yeo’s, Tiger Beer and now Gardenia – flight of food manufacturing from Singapore might be just as planned
Singtel H2 net profit down 20.9% at S$2.2 billion; telco open to Aussie minority partner in Optus
Apex court rejects resulting trust claim in 99-1 condo dispute
Singapore shipping veteran, SBF chair Teo Siong Seng and others accused by US of price fixing